5 stars – It was mind-blowingly awesome!!!! Holly crap!! It was PERFECTION Everyone should read it as soon as they can
A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making.
Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.
Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.
So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.
Okay, how do I start…. Oh! How bout, HOLY FUCKING SHIT THAT WAS INCREDIBLE AND HOW HAVE I NOT READ IT UP TO NOW AND OMG I LOVED IT AND OMG I FOUND A NEW FAVOURITE FANTASY SERIES!!!
Just encase you missed it, I loved this book! I’m kicking myself for not having read this book sooner! I’d heard that it was amazing but I never had a pressing need to read it! I FEEL THE PRESSING NEED NOW! I don’t know how to comprehensively write this review so I shall provide you with 5 reasons to go read this book RIGHT NOW!
- The world. Okay, okay, okay. The world of Primoria wins ten billion thumbs up from me. It is so unique in the way that it is split up into Rhythms and Seasons. There are four Rhythms, Cordell, Paisly, Ventralli and Yakim, all of which are very wealth kingdoms. The four Seasons, Summer, Autumn, Winter, Spring have nowhere near the wealth the Rhythms have but do have access to great magic and therefore are envied by the Rhythms. I loved that in each Season the weather is the same for that season all year round, it’s always snowing in Winter, the leaves are always brown, gold and yellow in Autumn. It’s just a cool concept to me! Plus I loved how the peoples physical characteristics where reflective of which Season they live in! Winterians have white hair, pale skin and very light blue eyes, Autumns have dark brown hair, tan skin and dark eyes. The whole world was so well down and I have such a happy chappy about it J
- The characters. When I say the characters I really mean Meira. Because Meria is the bomb! She’s grown up around combat her entire life so you can imagine she’s pretty kick ass! Plus the sacrifices she makes for the people she loves and Winter along the way just had me like godsmaked and like proud of her!!
- The magic. The magic of this world is so interesting! All kingdoms have a conduit, which is an object that they are able to channel magic through. I loved how magic wasn’t something that every citizen had like an extra sense but instead came from an actual giant ball of magic energy that gives magic to the conduits. I don’t think I’ve come across a magic system like the one in Snow Like Ashes before so I was super excited!
- The love interests. Yes, love interests – with a plural. To all you people out there that are currently like ‘There’s a… duh duh DUMMMMM love triangle????!!!! NOOO!!’ I shall tell you that for some reason it JUST WORKS IN SLA!! OKAY??!!! It just works! She doesn’t have swaying feelings between Mather and Theron, plus they’re both pretty damn amazing! Mather is the future king of Winter, who Meira has grown up with her whole life but always known that nothing can happen between them. Theron (AKA the love of my life) is the Prince of Cordell and THE BEST! HE IS EVERYTHING! And if Meira doesn’t end up with him I may decide to hate this book series (only a little bit joking).
- The plot twists. Okay, literally from like 20% of the way through this book onwards it was like bam bam BAM!!! Plot twist, plot twist, plot twist!! AND I WAS NEVER EXPECTING IT!!! It pretty much got me Every. Single. Time! I loved it! I was constantly shocked and amazed and on the edge of my imaginary seat!
- The feels. I know I said five reasons, but I just have so many feels about this book there needs to be something mentioned. So congratulations, a bonus reason to go read this book! SO MANY FEELS! Like, one moment you’re all warm and wrapped up in lovey emotions and the next you feel like bursting into tears for Meira, the next so effing proud of how kickass she is!
IF YOU DON’T WANT TO GO PICK THIS BOOK UP RIGHT NOW AFTER ALL MY BRILLIANT REASONS, THERE IS NO HELPING YOU!
Add me on Goodreads 🙂