So this month has been hectic busy with exams and family birthdays so even though I read this book about two weeks back and I’m only now getting around to writing this fan girling review.
- When I grow up I want to be exactly like Kami Glass. C’mon please?? The powers that be, can I please be as awesome as a fabricated character? Okay Kami is tough, and driven, and passionate, and witty as all hell and I can one hundred percent imagine her being this kick ass real chick I’d wanna be friends with. I love her humour, I find it so easy to relate to it. Like her insisting to call the newspaper room Headquarters to the point that everyone just goes along with her instead of fighting it.
- Kami and Jared are telepathically linked. Now I can understand the draw backs of being telepathically linked with the person you have a crush on but at the same time I love that they have this unflinching connection. They are each other’s best friend on a level that goes beyond friendship or love they literally know every tiny detail of each other’s life yet still accept each other despite knowing all their flaws.
- There’s a love triangle. Okay I know 80% of the world hate a love triangle, and trust me sometimes I’m so far immersed in that camp that I breathe hate for love triangles, but I just loved the way the love triangle was written in Unspoken. It wasn’t all annoying and angsty, she wasn’t claiming on being in love with both of them at the same time and there wasn’t any cheating. Brenna [Rees Brenna? Omg is it two last names or two first names? Who would do this??? The struggle is real] created real emotion with the subtle love triangle that was just an element of the book instead of the main theme.
- I couldn’t predict how the book was going to go. I don’t want to ruin the surprise so I’m not going to say too much, but when I realised the big secret of the Lynburns and Sorry-in-the-Vale (their town) I was shocked. I don’t know if that’s because I was being dense and just not paying close enough attention but I was trying to guess the whole first half of the book and I just couldn’t get it. Of course once you know it makes perfect sense. I loved this, it was like a real suspense novel instead of knowing that it was the kernal in the library with the candlestick from like the 3rd
- Fully developed side characters. Everyone had a story and a personality. Not one character was there as a fill in, they were all 3-diminsional. I particularly loved Angela and Holly. I could just imagine them, the two most beautiful girls in school one a complete and utter bitch and the other a flirt. I couldn’t help but be reminded of one of my fav duos Max and Caroline.
- Breanna lists real places in the UK. I love when authors do this. When Kami and Jared go to London in one part of the book real streets and areas are named adding real life context. It makes the whole book seem like it could be a true tale, like, just a couple of hours outside of London there’s a tiny town called Sorry-in-the-Vale where all this mysterious magical stuff goes on.
- I’m a sucker for alternating POVs. Getting to read the story from Kami’s POV and developing opinions about the type of character Jared is and then getting to be in Jared head as he deals with his life – I just loved it. My heart went out to Jared, I loved reading throw his eyes. It adds so much more to a character.
- Bloody cliff hanger has me. I’m over here thanking my lucky stars that this book came out two years ago and that I can go read the sequel Untold at any time without having to wait because if I had to wait a year after reading that cliff hanger I wouldn’t be able to survive the drama. Why did it have to end that way!!!!!!!! Don’t you believe in just letting your characters be happy Brenna??
Questions I need answered in Untold
Will contain spoilers from Unspoken, so don’t read if that’ll get your knickers all bunched up.
- What’s going to happen now that Jared and Kami are no longer connected. I’m crossing my fingers they can just do the binding ceremony or something
- Please tell me Jared was lying about his feelings no longer existing!!!!!
- Omg is there going to be like a sorcerer war now or something??
- Are the Lynburn’s that don’t side with Rob going to be hunted down?
- So Angela’s gay? I thought that might be the case but still I can’t wait till that storyline continues.
- Ash needs to pull up his socks and stop being a porn for his dad.